Defective Products Statistics
- An average of 168,000 children are treated in the emergency department each year for toy-related injuries (SafeKids.org).
- Each year, an average of 29.5 million injuries can be attributed to defective products (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
- Defective products kill more than 22,000 people every year in the United States (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
Involved in a Defective Products Case?
Whether it is an all-terrain vehicle or a pacifier, any product can be defective. Unfortunately, some defective products cause serious injuries, illness and even death to the consumers who use them. If you or someone you know sustained an injury while using a defective product, you may be entitled to compensation. In such cases, it is wise to speak with an experienced lawyer as soon as you can.
A lawyer who has experience in defective products cases may be able to help in the following circumstances:
- Injury or death while riding in or operating a defective vehicle
- Injury, illness or death resulting from the use of a defective toy or other child’s product
- Carbon monoxide poisoning from a defective consumer product
- Cases of injury or drowning resulting from defective pools or other devices used in water
- Any other circumstance in which a defective consumer product was responsible for damage or physical harm
What Does a Defective Products Lawyer Do?
If you or a loved one sustained an illness or injury because of a defective consumer product, a lawyer with experience in defective products cases can help you take the next step. If you choose to hire such an attorney, he or she will begin by reviewing the accident report, medical records and/or any other documents associated with the case to determine whether you have a valid claim against the product’s manufacturer. Your attorney may also ask an unbiased medical professional to examine the records and/or examine the injured party.
If the lawyer finds that the manufacturer is at fault for the harm the product caused, he or she will file a case against the manufacturer on your behalf. As the lawsuit progresses, your attorney will help you prepare for court, represent you during proceedings, negotiate with the manufacturer’s lawyers and do everything he or she can to ensure that the lawsuit is successful. Depending on the nature of the case, you may receive medical compensation and/or punitive damages.
Find a Defective Products Lawyer
If you or someone you know was injured by a defective product, contact a qualified lawyer as soon as possible. To compare lawyers in your area based on relevant statistics, visit the Injury Lawyer Database. If you require any additional assistance, please feel free to contact us directly.