Statistics on Nursing Home Lawsuits
- 90 percent of nursing homes in the United States are operating with less than adequate staffing (American Association for Justice).
- Only 1 in 14 incidents of nursing home abuse are reported to authorities (American Association for Justice).
- As many as 2 million Americans over age 65 have been victims of elder abuse (National Center on Elder Abuse).
Involved in a Nursing Home Lawsuit Case?
Nursing home lawsuits can be filed for different reasons. In most cases, lawsuits involve abuse or neglect of a nursing home patient. If you or a loved one has been a victim as nursing home abuse, you may be entitled to compensation. In such cases, it’s wise to speak to a lawyer as soon as you can.
An attorney with experience in nursing home lawsuits may be able to help you in the following circumstances and cases:
- Understaffed nursing home neglected a patient
- Nursing home personnel abused a patient (happens much more than you think)
- Nursing home personnel administered incorrect medication, failed to administer medication or failed to monitor a patient properly
- Nursing home staff failed to transfer a patient to a hospital when doing so was medically necessary
- A patient developed bedsores as a result of neglect
What Does a Nursing Home Lawyer Do?
If you or someone you know was the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, you should meet with a qualified lawyer as soon as you can. If you choose to hire a lawyer with experience in nursing home lawsuits, he or she will begin by reviewing the medical records of the nursing home patient in question. He or she may also refer the patient to a physician for further examination.
If your lawyer determines that the nursing home is at fault for abuse or neglect occurred, a demand letter will be sent and/or a lawsuit will be filed on your behalf. Throughout the duration of the lawsuit, your lawyer will review relevant case documents, negotiate with the nursing home’s legal staff, represent you in court and do anything else he or she can to ensure that you have the best possible chance of winning.
Find a Nursing Home Lawyer
If you or someone you know was the victim of a nursing home abuse or neglect, you should find a lawyer as soon as possible. Before choosing a lawyer, compare potential candidates by using real injury lawyer statistics found on the Injury Lawyer Database. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact us directly.